Artists and thinkers coming together to promote fine crafts, innovation, and honest sustainability.

The best and brightest artists and thinkers coming together to promote fine crafts, original thought, and honest sustainability.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Weekly Featured Artist: Ozetta

This is my first official "YAY FALL!" post. I love fall, and love winter even more. Why, you ask? Because I get to wear all things made of yarn and/or cashmere..... and because it means the end of clothing that fits on a postage stamp.

I could not possibly pick a more amazing artist, who's work I totally covet, to help me dream of fog and rain, and chilly mornings, and hot tea. 

Allow me to introduce Hailey, and her beautiful knit line, Ozetta. As a reward for all my lovely readers, Hailey is offering a 10% discount for the week that she is featured (9/14 - 9/20).  Just send her  a message through her Etsy shop when you order and tell her you are a ZIPANDRUTH reader, and she will apply the discount.

Enjoy!
Your Name: Hailey

Your business name: Ozetta


ozetta.etsy.com
ozettamade.blogspot.com


The Basics:
Ozetta handmade knits is inspired from my great grandmother. My grandmother taught me how to crochet, among many other things, and most importantly she showed me to lead by her example in life and that was to do what makes me happy. Each item in my shop is knitted and crocheted exclusively by me. I live in a small town in Oklahoma where there are beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and that’s about it. I married my high school sweetheart, Nick and we were blessed in October with a little boy, Easton Hank. I started crocheting when I was ten years old, but took a long break from it and picked up knitting. However, crocheting is my true passion now.

1. What five words best describe you? 
Organized, Creative, Shy, Loving, and Bookish

2. What five words best describe your work? 
Big, Warm, Unique, Comfortable, and Soft

3. What was the very first art form you fell in love with, and, do you still do it? 
Writing. Yes, I still write daily on my blog, ozettamade.blogspot.com

4. What was your very worst ‘real’ job? 
When I was a junior in High School I worked at a local business that restored gas pumps, cars, etc. They also had a lot of old signs and mainly things that had to do with cars. I worked in the shop outside organizing, checking in inventory, cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning. It was a complete man job and I had to work hard every day to keep up.

5. Is artwork your full-time life? Or, if not, are you planning to make it that way? If so, what’s your favorite part about being a full-time creative? 
Yes, Ozetta is my full-time job. But I would hardly call it a job. It’s the best thing I have ever decided to do. I have a college finance degree, but decided this is my true passion. Making things ultimately makes me the most happy. The best thing is being my own boss. A lot of the times I work 12 hour days and it gets even crazier around the holidays, it’s challenging but completely worth it. Another thing is being able to raise my son, there is nothing greater than being able to take care of him and watch him grow.

6. What do you think is the single most important thing you could tell an artist just starting out?
Don’t give up. And if you really want to get serious about your passion then you have to invest a lot of time in your business. What I realized the most was “a dream deferred will hurt you over time”-Michael Emerson (most of you may know him as Ben on the TV show LOST). When I heard this quote I was even more determined to make my dream reality. What was I waiting for?

7. What is your favorite way to distribute our work (craft shows, online, galleries, etc…), and why?
Online, particularly Etsy. They are truly a wonderful community. I have met so many people through Etsy; some that I consider best friends. It is a wonderful way to get your name out there.

8. What are your five favorite blogs and/or websites?
Etsy.com, Cocoabeans.etsy.com (my mom’s shop), Kalie Garrett, Amazon, and Flickr

9. Favorite artist?
Coco Chanel

10. Guilty pleasure? 
String Cheese

1 comment:

SNSpencer said...

Now that is a lot of knots! Any mariner would be jealous of your mad knot tying skills. Although these are not the types of items that I would wear personally, maybe my wife would, just looking at your store gets me excited about the prospect of winter.