Artists and thinkers coming together to promote fine crafts, innovation, and honest sustainability.

The best and brightest artists and thinkers coming together to promote fine crafts, original thought, and honest sustainability.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Biz Tip: Stay focused.... on anything and everything you want.

Since I was a little kid I have always gotten bored really easily. I like change. It has taken me my entire life to come to value this as a gift, and not just another excuse for my lack of follow-through. My mom used to say I had 'the grass is always greener' syndrome. Every time I would start to feel stagnant, I would find something new (and usually difficult) to focus on. Consequently, at thirty, I can realistically consider myself a florist, a barista, an MBA, a marketing pro, a dancer, a designer, an artist, an executive, a business owner, a writer, a lion tamer.... okay I made that last one up, but you get the idea.

It turns out, I don't lack focus, I lack the ability to do things that bore me. Our culture sells us on the idea that follow through is king, hard work will open the golden gates of the American Dream.  Right? Seriously? What a freakin' crock! Anyone watch the news lately? Time has come to spend our lives doing that we enjoy. Focus on that. Obviously, I don't mean to just spend your life in lala land following whatever interesting shiny object floats by. But find the things that light you up. Life is too damn short!

No comments: