Artists and thinkers coming together to promote fine crafts, innovation, and honest sustainability.

The best and brightest artists and thinkers coming together to promote fine crafts, original thought, and honest sustainability.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The funny thing about feedback.

I have been spending a good bit of time hanging out in the Etsy forums. My first toe in the water was in the critique section. I asked for a general critique of my shop. Ninety percent of the responses I got were super positive, and the suggestions I got were solid and thought-provoking. I left this thread feeling all warm and fuzzy, fresh banner and avatar firmly planted based on suggestions.

But here’s the thing… I stopped by a couple of other similar threads for other shops and most of them were pretty positive as well…even for shops that sold overpriced garbage and only had four listings….all while whining that they didn’t have a sale yet after like three days.

So I am now wondering if I should feel less warm and fuzzy about my kudos. I mean, I am all for supporting each other and encouraging each other, but how do I reconcile my own desire for better design in the world, and my belief in personal responsibility with the fact that some people just aren’t good at this? Isn’t encouraging people who just copy other people to keep doing what they’re doing akin to condoning it?

So, how do I have faith that my work is good?

No comments: